Friday, November 13, 2009

On the trail again

It has been two weeks since the International Black Genealogy Summit ended. I came back with renewed fervor. Then I went back to my job. But I am endeavoring not to let all that good information and zeal go to waste.

Working on a tip written in my previous blog, I looked up H.S. Anderson on the 1850 slave census for Franklin County in Mississippi. The "H" stands for Henry. I was pleasantly pleased to find that Henry was living next to Joseph R. Cotten in 1850. This is the same Cotten that I once thought was Winney's slave owner. There is a female slave and male slave listed under both Joseph's and Henry's name that correspond with the ages of Winney and her oldest son Hiram.

I googled Henry's name and found some minutes for Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Franklin County, Mississippi. Henry, Joseph and a few Cain's were members of the church in 1852. Now I'm getting excited.

Could this be the smoking gun for my ancestors? Of course, I don't know the answer to that yet. I have looked up several Andersons that I thought may be the slave owners. However, the coincidence of Joseph and Henry being neighbors is making me think this may be the right trail to follow.

1 comment:

Soul of Succes said...

Hi I"m not sure if you still check this site. I wanted to know if you have found any additional information regarding H S Anderson. My Great Great Grandfather Squire Anderson is somehow connected to HS Anderson. Possibly his slave, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure but there is a thought they may have come from Georgia. Have you found any additional information about Henry or anyone else in the area? You can e-mail me at coryjanderson@gmail.com