Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Yeomen Featherstones


Slowly I'm getting back into the groove. This obsession won't ever let me completely quit.
I began researching more on the Featherstones since visiting the castle and town. Looking on Ancestry.com, I was able to trace the line back to 1428 in Warwickshire, England. The thing is, Warwickshire is not very close to Featherstone. Featherstone is farther north near the Scottish border. Warwickshire is south near Stratford-on-Avon.( It's kind of exciting to think that my ancestors may have known Shakespeare.) The Featherstones were yeomen. If I understand the title, yeomans were medieval middle class. The Featherstones of the castle were noblemen. They were first mentioned in the 13th century. Sounds like I have some more researching to do.

Visiting the area does make it feel more real. Maybe next time I will visit some of the genealogical sources and libraries.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Jennifer, you should know that their are three Featherstone towns/villages in England.
One in Staffordshire, One in East Yorkshire, and the Castle in Northumberland

Jennifer said...

Thank you, Paul, for the information.